Sunday, January 4, 2009

Flowers for Algernon

I am reading the book "Flowers for Algernon" and it was very well written, descriptive, and touching. The story is about a thirty-two year old man named Charlie Gordon and he lives at the Warren State Home for mentally-retarded adults. Then, three scientists approach Charlie about a scientific experiment that will make him a genius! This story is both fascinating and original and it should most definitely be on your "must read list."
I chose this book because it is different. Usually I read Teen-Fiction novels. My mom told me about the Academy Award-winning movie Charly (featuring Cliff Robertson). When I read the first three chapters of the book, I knew that it was the one I wanted to read. I wouldn't put the book down!
After I finished reading the book I saw the pieces of the movie and I was in tears! I have to say that both the film and the book were outstanding! Usually people like the book better than the movie but "Charly" is a movie that every kid should see with their family.
The book itself was very realistic for me because I knew that it was possibly someone's story with some of the same elements as Charlie. It completely changed my "state." By that, I mean that now I have a totally different perspective on life. This book is about accepting people for who they are and letting you now that God made them perfect just the way they are. Just because someone doesn't have the abilities to do some of the things that you can doesn't make them wrong. They are just different and everyone should accept people for who they are.
I have taken a quote from the book that means a lot to the story: "Then Professor Nemur said remember he will be the first human being ever to have his intelligence increased by surgery."
(Flowers for Algernon), page 10
(Sorry if my punctuation is incorrect. That is the way it is written in the book).
I really enjoyed reading this book because it was classic and original. I also thought that it was a very touching and significant story to read. I would definitely recommend this book to people that are into romance, and adult science-fiction. Thank you for reading this book review and I hope that some day you will read "Flowers for Algernon" and see the outstanding film "Charly." For more information go to these links below to find out more information on the book!
Sydney
Ms. Bennett
Per.5 English

No comments: