Thursday, January 15, 2009

Flowers For Algernon

I read the book Flowers For Algernon, by Daniel Keyes I chose to read this book because it was a difficult book and I was intrigued by its topic. This book is mostly about a man named Charlie Gordon who is a mentally retarded adult. There are 2 scientists who have created a surgery that will make Charlie a genius. Unfortunately, this procedure is not permanent so about 7 months later, Charlie starts forgetting things he has learned. He was the one who found out that his brain was going to start deteriorating. It hit him hard but he knew that he couldn't do anything about it.
"Artificially-induced intelligence deteriorates at a rate of time directly proportional to the quantity of the increase," Charlie said as he revealed the operation was not permanent in a letter to Professor Nemur. (Flowers for Algernon, pg. 255) Charlie found out, using his intelligence, that he wasn't going to be smart forever. Thats what happened to Algernon, the test mouse who had the surgery first. Algernon had erratic behavior and was very stubborn. At first the Professor didn't know what it was about but when Charlie started having the same kinds of behavior, they realized that when their brain deteriorates, they begin to have erratic and stubborn behavior, and emotional mood swings. Charlie and the scientists got into many feuds and couldn't figure out why. Professor Nemur thought it was because Charlie was a self-centered brat but really it was be cause of artifficialy-induced intelligence deteriorates at a rate of time directly proportional to the quantity of the increase.
I loved this book. It has so much emotion and so much passion its almost like the author really was going through this kind of emotions. Charlie had such a character. He was excited, scared, upset, anxious, nervous, happy, stubborn and a whole bunch more. I felt like I could relate to him because this author didn't just make a character he put a little bit of himself into the book, a little bit of humanity in the book. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to be a part of the book, to cry, laugh, and relate to the character. I love this book.


Julia F.
Ms. Bennett
Period 1

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am reading this book right now and I agree with you that it is beautifully written and that it seemed like the author was going throught the emotions.

Heather H.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I read that book for my book report last time and I could not put it down. It was an amazing story where you can easily get conected to the characterers. The book was so sad, I cried about 7 times. I agree that the book was a non put down read that I cherished for the entire time i read it.
Max

Anonymous said...

Your blog was so good that now I want to go and get the book. It semms like a great book. Thanks for telling so much about it .

Emani D.