Thursday, January 15, 2009

Flowers for Algernon

I chose the book Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes because I have an interest in psychiatry
and pathos in the human mind. I also liked that the story was in a 1st person biography. The book
was mostly about a retarded adult named Charlie Gordon. He goes to a University for retarded adults.
He is used by some psychiatrists who boost his IQ from a 68 to a complete genius.
"I told dr Strauss and prof Numer I cant rite good but he says it dont matter he says I should rite
just as I talk and like I rite compushishens in mis Kinnians class at the beekmin collidge centerr for retarted adults where I go 3 times a week on my time off." (Flowers for Algernon, pg. 1) I think this quote explains the conflict in the book because the conflict is that Charlie is retarded but wants to be smart. He wants to read and write but he can't. He's retarded but has great motivation. A good example is the time when he was in the lab and was trying desperately to compete with a mouse who already had the operation to be gifted. He tried it 10 times and Algernon always won.
I adored this book because it was really interesting to read about someone's life and watch them progress. I felt like I was almost experiencing his life since it was written from his point of view. I would recommend this book to people who are interested in psychology, and if you don't like fairy tales this book is for you.

Liam S
Period 3
Mrs. Bennett

www.bookrags.com/Flowers_for_Algernon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_for_Algernon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom read that and said she cried.