Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ranger's Apprentice: Ruins of Gorlan

I read the book The Ranger's Apprentice: Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan . This book is the first book in the series The Ranger's Apprentice. The name of this book caught my eye as I was skimming through my book report book list and I thought, "What is Gorlan?" and, "What does a Ranger's Apprentice do?" My head was buzzing with questions, and so I decided to pick it up and read. This book is about 15 year old Will, an orphan, who has dreamed of going to Battle School and becoming a Knight. However, on Choosing Day when he is turned down by the Battle Master, his hopes are crushed. Halt, a Ranger had requested for Will to be his apprentice and Will doesn't know what to expect. The Rangers have always made everyone feel uneasy. Will doesn't know that there is a battle ahead with the Kalkara, a deadly creature with a stare that can kill and that the Rangers have to stop them before they reach the kingdom.
"I need apprentices my lord," he said "but this one's too small." (Ranger's Apprentice: Ruins of Gorlan, pg. 28) I chose this quote for the main conflict of the story for several reasons. Everyone is always judging Will on his size. Even Horace, Will's ward mate, bullied him because he was small, which later in the story turns into a fight. In the beginning, no one really saw skill within Will except Halt. Two Craft Masters turned him down for his size. Will proves that you don't have to be a warrior, knight or even a King to be a hero. He proved himself at a Boar Hunt and when he fought the Kalkara. That is why I thought that quote was the main conflict of the story.
I loved this book so much! It is my new favorite. I give it five out of five stars for its detail of the fight between Alda, Jerome, Bryn (the three bullies). I also it give 5 stars because of the way that John Flanagan described Will's feelings and thoughts. I would definitely recommend this book to people who like fantasy and medieval themes. I couldn't stop reading this book and I hope more people will start to read it. Warning: There is some violence in this book.




Emily P.
Ms.Bennett
Period 1


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it a lot you put alot of information.
Kiana Coronado

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog and I can't wait till I read it too, but don't tell me the ending. I thought the blog was really descriptive. once again I can't wait to read it.
Alison