Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hunger Games

I chose The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins because the plot sounded really fascinating. My teacher at Millikan Middle School, Ms. Bennett suggested it and I really liked it.

The Hunger Games takes place in a country called Panem, which used to be North America. In Panem there is the Capital and surrounding it are twelve districts. The people of the Capital are cruel and sadistic. They created something called The Hunger Games, The Hunger Games is a game where a boy and a girl from each district who are called tributes, are called to an arena to fight to the death. The last person alive and his district are awarded great wealth. The tributes are aged twelve to eighteen. When you turn 12 your name is entered in a sort of a lottery, and every year your name gets entered again until you turn 18, this is how the tributes are chosen.


The main character's name is Katniss and she is the girl tribute of district twelve. Katniss is 16 and she's a hunter, she hunts in the woods just outside of the district to feed her sister, Prim, and her mother. Here is a quote from the book, "I pull on a thick, fleecy nightgown and climb into bed. It takes about five seconds to realize I'll never fall asleep. And I need sleep desperately because in the arena every moment I give in to fatigue will be an invitation to death. It's no good. One hour, two, three pass, and my eyelids refuse to get heavy. I can't stop trying to imagine exactly what terrain I'll be thrown into. Desert? Swamp? A frigid wasteland? Above all I'm hoping trees, which may afford me some means of concealment and food and shelter" Katniss, page 141. Throughout the book in her struggle for survival Katniss must find or fight for food, supplies and weapons so she will be better prepared to win in the end. From the starting line, the Tributes race for the Cornucopia where they will find many supplies. Many of the Tributes die the first day in this struggle for supplies. In the arena Katniss has to fight a Tribute from district 9 over a backpack full of supplies. This book is about Katniss trying to survive in the Games.


The Hunger Games is an amazing book. I like this book because it shows how far a person will go to survive. I highly recommend it.



Alex B

Ms. Bennett

Period 1


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a very interesting and fully detailed blog. That is a book that i would enjoy reading now

-Michael Caponera

Anonymous said...

I also read that book and I loved it. I recommend this book to everyone because it is amazing!
Jessica F.

Anonymous said...

I read this book too and I really enjoyed it.Awsome blog!

Adam Abraham

Kiana Belencita Coronado-Ziadie said...

Hey Alex you are very smart your book sound really cool and i did not know those where your kind of book and, did you ever read "Wolf Rider" that is maybe your kind of book it is fun. Oh and i did not know the thing you comment me was not there butler sorry i didn't read that write sorry.

Anonymous said...

Nice job of summarizing the first half of the book! I believe I need to make a personal challenge for you. I'd like to have you use the word "cornucopia" in your next book report essay since I believe it is a fascinating word that is not used often enough.

Glad you enjoyed the book- I knew you would...

-Ms. Bennett