Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Flowers for Algernon

I read Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. My cousin suggested this book to me. She said that
it has some sad moments, and that it is about a person's life and his hardships. Since I like reading
sad books about peoples life's and their hardships, I chose it. This book is about a man named Charlie
Gordon, who is mentally retarded. He is thirty-two and he goes to Beekman School to learn. He writes
progress reports, and he takes tests on which he fails. After a while the teachers and doctors decide
to give him a brain operation to make him intelligent, but they only tested it on a mouse named
Algernon. A long time after the operation he becomes more uncaring and he starts to believe that before
the operation people thought he was not a person. Then he falls in love with a woman who works at the
college and who teaches him. But that woman wants to wait a little bit. He goes to see his father. His
father is a barber. He does not tell his father that he is his son, he just gets a haircut and leaves.
After a while he goes to see his mother and his sister. His mother used to beat him when he was a kid,
because he would not understand things, or he would misbehave. He then gets ill and he starts to lose
control.
"Im glad I got a second chanse in life like you said to be smart again because I lerned alot of
things that I never even new were in this werld and Im grateful I saw it all even for a littel bit."
(Flowers for Algernon, page 310.) When he says "second chanse in life" he is talking about himself
learning a lot of languages. He is talking about a woman whom he loved. He learned to love and have
feelings. He learned to write and read. His IQ got higher. He knew what to say and do to not get in
trouble. He became smart.
The book was great, I really loved it. What I liked about it was the fact that the author took
notice or writing in a way a mentally retarded person would. I also liked the way the author explained
the whole book with details, so that there would not be any questions asked. I would definitrely
recommend it to all my freinds, and probably even to my parents. It is a great book.

Mariam H.
Ms. Bennett
Period 1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read Flowers for Algernon and it was amazing! I loved every moment of this book and I cried through the whole thing! I really think that everybody should read this book because it teaches us that people are people and we are different in every way!

Sydney Park