Monday, January 12, 2009

Sword of the Rightful King

I read the book Sword of the Rightful King by Jane Yolen. I picked this book because I love to read about King Arthur and the cover interested me because it had a beautifully detailed sword on it. This book is mostly about how all of Britain disrespected King Arthur's ability to lead them because he was not the son of Uther Pendragon. It is also about Arthur's mage, Merlinnus who creates a sword stuck inside a stone that can only be pulled out by the rightful king of Britain. Merlinnus created this so the people would be loyal to Arthur.
" 'Everyone wants the throne,' Arthur repeated, ' Everyone but me' " (Sword of the Rightful King, pg.45). In this chapter Arthur and his brother, Kay, are discussing that Morgause had sent an assassin, and about anyone else who would do that as well. I chose this quote because it shows the disloyalty of most other kings and princes. I also chose this quote to explain that the importance of Arthur's position doesn't matter if his subjects were not loyal.
I thought this book was phenomenal. The depth and emotion used in this book had me turning pages. I also admire all the unexpected twists and turns that this story took. I recommend this book for anyone who likes King Arthur and/or anyone who likes books about magic. I loved this book so much and I hope one day you'll pick it up and love it too.

Alison B.
Ms.Bennett
Period One

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Alison,

Your blog is very creative! I really want to read this book for my book report next if I have the chance.

Anonymous said...

Your blog os very interesting and creative i cant wait to read the book. I have always wanted to read this book and i am this time


Anthony B.