Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Black Beauty



Sevana
Period 2 English
September 15, 2009
Black Beauty
I had read Black Beauty by Anna Sewell, and singled out this book because when I was in elementary school I used to love horses, so I was walking through a library and right by the window was the book with a beautiful black stallion on the cover. I picked it up, turned to the back for the summary and thought that I would die with out this book. My mom later bought the book; I took it home and read all night and day till I could finish that book. It was so thrilling and magical at the same time! You wouldn't even see me put that book down.
Black Beauty was just a regular, young colt who as a baby experienced a lot of tragedies, from the pleasant meadow to as an adult horse. Such as when he was two, he witnessed the violence of a hunt for a hare and the disaster of one of the riders being killed in a fall from his horse. At age four, Black Beauty was broken in to the use of the saddle, bridle, and carriage harness. The biggest problem for him was all the fairs and auctions of being sold to strangers, meeting new friends and watching them all be sold and die! I think that the biggest theme was not all the deaths but mistreated animals. O ne day he had even seen Ginger (on old stable horse), who had become one of the leased cab horses and very mistreated. Another example of being mistreated is by Nicholas Skinner, who owns several worn out cabs and a group of overworked drivers who take out their frustration over their hardships by abusing the horses.
"Kind treatment make good horses", as quoted by the book itself. I believe that line in significant because it is one of the main things that every owner in the book did not know. They all either left the horse to sell in its time of need or abused the horse for their own frustrations. Black Beauty even says that close the end right before the greatest part in the book. Be kind to anything and it will act nice back.
My rating system is arranged in horse shoes. For every horse shoe that you click on, that is a bad to good. It starts at one which is bad, all the way to a five which is extraordinary. Personally I would rate this book at a five. I rate at this because as I said I couldn't put the book down for three days.
This book is AMAZIN G, but I would still have to recommend this book to people who enjoy books of horses only with maybe a low rank in vocabulary. I think for this type of audience that reason number one for reading this book is because it is about a horse. Reason number two, because the wondering and curiosity of Black Beauty being sold and you wondering what is going to happen next. Reason number three, the adventure of a story being told through the eyes of a horse. Overall, no warning need to be given because it is completely good for readers of these listeners.

No comments: