Thursday, September 17, 2009

When It happens


Mia 
Per. 4 English
September 17, 2009
     The title of my favorite novel is, When it happens. This book is written by Susane Colasanti. I had never even heard of this book before I started to read it. It had just been a regular day at the bookstore when I had been looking for a new book to read. I usually look for books that have interesting covers. When I picked up this book, it had two people on the cover hiding their faces behind a tree. One was a girl and the other was a guy who had a guitar with him. On the back of the book, it talked about two seniors who came to fall in love. Right then and there I knew this was going to be an amazing book. 

 

             The interesting thing is that, When it Happens is written in alternating points of view. It alternates between the two main characters, Sara and Tobey. Sara is very intelligent, organized and completely focused on getting into her first college of choice. In the beginning of the book, Sara starts to date the hottest guy in school. But she learns that the hottest guy in school, isn't always the nicest. Tobey, on the other hand, could really care less about school. His main interests are music and Sara. In the beginning, Tobey tries to get her attention by whatever means possible. He tries to get Sara's attention when he enters the Battle of the bands with his band, MindFlame. As the story goes on, Sara starts to wonder if she can keep her feelings from Tobey for much longer.

 

            The quote that really touched me and that I remembered the most from the book was, " And it feels like this missing part of me has finally been found." Most girls dream of the day that they believe they have found their true love. And I think that that quote says it all. That Sara, felt like Tobey was her missing piece. She was saying that nothing really mattered except that she was with him at that moment. She was saying that he made her feel complete, safe and relaxed. It is important to the story, because when both Tobey and Sara are thinking this, it changes the whole mood and feel of the story. It changes from just a story about these two friends to the beginning of a sweet, comical, love story.

 

             

 

 

            For the rating system, I chose to use music notes. I felt that through out the story, music really is something that connects everything together. I gave it four because of how funny and unpredictable the writing is. I also liked how Susane Colasanti really put detail into everything and it really seemed like you were reading into two seniors minds. I gave it four of five music notes due to how it was sort of slow in a few parts and it wouldn't interest every type of audience. But overall, I thought this book was phenomenal. I loved that they were small surprises at the most interesting times.

 

            Three reasons why I think someone should read this are that it is smart, funny, and very entertaining. It also isn't like any book I have ever read, and finally because I know a book is good when I never want it to end.  I would recommend this for people who are in the mood for a funny, romantic story. A book that will leave you off with a great feeling as you finish it. I would also not recommend this for children 13 and up, due to some sexual content and explicit language

No comments: