Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The People of Sparks

The book I read is called The People of Sparks by Jeanne Durau. The reason I choose to readThe People of Sparks was because of the cover. It is really pretty and symbolic. I then found out it was the second book in a series of four. I then bought the first book to read, so I could start from the beginning of the series. 
My book is about two characters, Lina and Doon, who have just lead their people out of a closed off, underground city, and into the world. Upon entering the world, they nothing about, society has gone backwards to a more primitive time because of a war. Lina and Doon comes upon a village that agrees to help them but, soon after, conflict arises. Now Doon and Lina have to stop the threat of a war, between the people of Ember and the people of Sparks, lead by the influences of a boy named Tick.
"Fine" said Maddy......"If you ask me, making friends is a better defense then making enemies."I felt that this saying is significant because it's telling you that what is the point of making enemies when it's just going to hurt you in the end. The reason Maddy said this was because a man named Caspar stated that he believed in approaching a stranger like a enemy to protect himself. Maddy felt that making more enemies then friends, was a stupid way to carry out life.
Out of 17 seeds I give this book a rating of 15 seeds. The reason I give it a rating of 15 seeds is because I loved the story line, and thought the characters were realistic. Even so, I felt a little disappointed with one resolution dealing with treasure. I felt it could have been better and didn't live up to it's full potential. The reason I used seeds as my rating system is because on the cover, it is a picture of a sprout. I felt that the seed and sprout represented the starting of a civilization, which is exactly what this book is representing. 
Out of :
     ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' 17 seeds
this book deserved:
     ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' 15 seeds
I recommend this book for anti-war people. It deals with war (not the war specifically) but the effects
afterwards. I believe this book is recommend for people of all ages. Though, I believe that the older you
the more you'll get out of it. It is also people who like adventure for it has its owe share of it. Lastly I feel
that this is a book about civilizations and tolerance of other people. It shows you just how foolish a fight
over an egg might be, and how it all starts with a push and ends with a mess.
By,
Hopi

No comments: