Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tuck Everlasting

            Shiva

Period 2, English

September 17, 2009

 

Book Review Blog: Tuck Everlasting

 

The title of the book I have read is called Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. I ended up reading this book in class in the 6th grade. My English teacher made us read it as a class assignment. Once we started reading it, I ended up liking the book a lot, so I was glad that my English teacher told us to read it. That's how I ended up reading the book, Tuck Everlasting.

            This story is about a wealthy 15 year old girl named Winnie Foster that isn't happy with her life and wished she had more freedom. When running away from home she ended up in a forest where she met a 17 year old boy named Jesse Tuck. Quickly she falls in love with him, but the Tucks had a big secret. They were immortal so they never aged and never died. They became immortal when drinking water out of a special tree's wood.  While Winnie was trapped staying with the Tucks, her family was on a hunt to find her. Even though she was in love with Jesse, his family didn't want to let her go because of their secret. While staying with the Tucks, Winnie learned a different part of life and how this is what it should be. Jesse asked Winnie to drink the water and become immortal and spend her life with him. Eventually the Tucks allowed Winnie to go home trusting her with their secret, but what will Winnie choose, to live forever staying 15 with Jesse or not to be afraid of death?

            The quote I chose from this story is "If there's one thing I've learned about people, it's that many will do anything, anything not to die." The reason I chose this quote because I thought it was very important based throughout the story and because I felt that this quote was absolutely true. Many people are afraid of dying and that their life is over, but it's not. Death is a part of nature, a part of life. I believe that when you die you will still be living in the afterlife.  And the importance this quote had to the story was that the Tucks never chose to live forever. To them it was a horrible accident and that is why they are saying don't be afraid of death, because they know what it feels like to live on and on and they would give anything to die.

            In my opinion Tuck Everlasting was a very good book. If I would rate it 1-5 stars I would give it 5 stars. I really enjoyed this book and it took me out of reality, so that's why I would give it 5 stars.  The icon I would choose is a water drop because with the taste of a drop of the Tuck's special water, would give them the ability to become immortal and never age. I feel like a lot of this story is based on the magical water and that's why I chose it as my related symbol.

            I felt like this book was an amazing book to read. I was very into the book and couldn't stop reading. 3 reasons that someone should read this book are that it makes you addicted to the book, it's a story that's very heartwarming and could make you tear up, and overall a story about true love. I would recommend this book to an audience that enjoys romance, drama, and adventure. If you like those kinds of books, this is the book for you. It is good for anyone to read. I feel that this is a great book but yet still appropriate for anyone to read..

 

No comments: