Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Lightnng Thief

The Lightning Thief

In my opinion, Rick Riordan wrote the best novel I have read, The Lightning Thief. I selected this book because half of my Science Academy class was reading it and telling me how good the book and the whole series is. I later heard that it included Greek mythology and that's when I decided to go to Barnes and Noble and buy myself a copy of that book.

Percy Jackson is a dyslexic boy diagnosed with ADHD. He later learns that he is a demigod, half- human, and half – god (His father being Poseidon, god of the sea and earthquakes.) The reason he has ADHD is so he can be alert during a battle and not wear out quickly and the reason he is dyslexic is because his brain is hardwired to read Ancient Greek. He learns that his best friend is a satyr who puts sneakers on his feet to cover up his hooves. He then begins attending Camp Half Blood, where he makes friends with Annabeth, daughter of Athena. The 3 friends go on a quest to find Zeus's master lightning bolt, which has been stolen. Percy needs to do this quest because Zeus thinks that he stole it and if he doesn't find the bolt then their will be a huge war between the gods.

I believe there were many important quotes in this book but I think the one on page 229 had the most significance. Annabeth cited this quote after the 3 friends have an encounter with the god of war, Ares. She quoted "Ares has strength. That's all he has. Even strength has to bow down to wisdom sometimes." I chose this quote because it first of all, I think it explains what kind of character Ares is in the book. And after this line is quoted, it really gets you thinking. Also this quote is related to an important scene that occurs toward the end of the book.

I decided to make a rating from 1- 20, one being a very bad book, to twenty being the best book that I ever read. The icons that I will use to show my evaluation for this book I will choose Greek-style columns. The reason why I chose this icon is because this book has to do a lot with Greek mythology, which is part of the culture of Greece. So are Greek –style columns. And now that I've explained my rating system and its icons, I will rate my book. I give this book 2222222222222222222. The reason why I gave this book 20 columns is because it is probably of the most interesting and favorite books I have ever read. It has a very rich language and it is very humorous and has a lot of cultural references, yet it still stays loyal to Greek mythology.

People who love humor in a novel should definitely read this book. I would also recommend this book to someone who would enjoy learning about the interesting subject of Greek mythology and to readers who enjoy a book with a rich language. I believe this book is mostly targeted at pre-teens and teenagers. Even though I do enjoy reading this book very much, I must give a couple of warnings. First of all, this book contains many battle scenes. These scenes are sometimes describe with a lot of violence and depicts in scene many wounded people and sometimes blood is involved. Secondly, this is one of those books that you keep on reading and you have to force yourself to put down. So beware or you just might end up reading this book for 2 hours straight (I would know!). And that pretty much wraps up everything. Enjoy!




---Ellie

English, Period 6

September 16,2009

No comments: