Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hatchet

Dillan

English Period 2

September 15, 2009

Hatchet

I read a book called Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. I selected this book because I liked the other book that I read by Garry Paulsen which was Brian's Hunt. I read hatchet because one of my teachers suggested it to me. I like books with lots of detail and description.

            There aren't very many characters in Hatchet. Brian Robeson is the main character in the book. He is a thirteen-year-old boy who had a hard time coping with the fact that his parents are going through a divorce. Brian's mother wants a divorce because she is having an affair with another man. Brian's father doesn't want the divorce and doesn't know about the affair.  Jim or Jake is the pilot of the airplane that is taking Brian to see his father. During the flight the pilot has a heart attack and Brian is forced to fly the plane until it runs out of gas and then crashes in Canada. The main conflict in the book is survival because Brian has to survive by himself. He has to find food, water, and shelter and all he has is a hatchet.  

            I chose the quote "I'm tough where it counts—tough in the head." because you have to keep a positive attitude, keep trying to be rescued.  You have to be strong so you don't go crazy when you are all alone in the wilderness with nobody to talk to. If you stay calm and focused then you can find solutions to everything.

            I rate the book four and a half stars. Five stars would be a book that you can't put down so you read it really fast. Four stars would be a book that is awesome and really fun. Three stars would be average. Two stars would be not the best book. Finally one star would be boring and not a good book. I really liked the detailed descriptions. It was really interesting.

            I would recommend this book to someone who likes the great outdoors. It teaches people how to survive alone in the Canadian wilderness with only a hatchet and light clothing. I do not recommend this book to people who are very easily grossed out.

No comments: