Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Giver

Anthony

English, Period 2

September 15, 2009

 

 

The book that I chose to write a review on was The Giver.  The Giver is written by Lois Lowry, also the author of Gossamer. I read this book because it was a mandatory book to read in Ms. Bedrossian's class (my seventh grade English teacher). I didn't choose to read this book, but after I read it, I loved it. I loved it so much that I read most of Lowry's books.
            The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas who lives in a futuristic community where everything is very well organized and planned. There's a curfew that everyone needs to follow. If you have a "special dream", the elders give you a pill so that you're normal like everyone else. The parents are arranged together and their children come from donors at the hospital. When kids arrive at a certain age, they go through a ceremony to receive what jobs they will be perform for the rest of your life. If adults get to old, the elders tell everyone that they will be leaving the community (because it is surrounded by a gate) but in reality, the doctors are injecting them with a poison to rid of them. So  Jonas gets the job as a receiver, a person who goes to the Giver (an old, wise man that was a receiver, but now gives memories) to receive memories from the past ages. As Jonas receives more and more memories, he decides to leave the community because of some disturbing memories that show what truly happens in the community. He leaves with his little brother, Gabriel.

            "6. Except for illness or injury unrelated to your training, do not apply for any medication. (9.32)". This was a rule in the community. I chose this quote because it shows how strict the rules were. Even the most organized and safest community had its downfalls. The whole community and no feelings towards each other. You could be an elder and still get injected with poison to be "released". So if you were dying of some disease, no medication would be given to you because it doesn't have to do with your training as the job you're getting.

            If I was to rate this book I would give it    . I chose these icons (happy face mask covering a sad face, if you can't see the image) because in the book, everyone needed to act a certain way. If they didn't "go with the flow", pills were given to them to straighten their attitude. I thought that the citizens were secretly crestfallen at the fact that they needed to be treated for their own behavior. That's why I chose icons of a glad mask that was covering up the real identity of the people, depressed.

            In my opinion, this book was the most mind-blowing book I have ever read. I saw the world in a new perspective and I started to enjoy reading. If you read this book, I guarantee that you will be hooked on it and want to read more books in this genre. You should read The Giver because it's a book that will open your eyes to the joy of reading. Secondly, this book is very unique because it doesn't happen in the present, but in a possible future for us. Finally, this book is very interesting and detailed that you could get a picture in your mind about the scene that you're reading. I would recommend this book for seventh grade and up, but for the ones who want a challenge. This book makes you think. Lower grades won't comprehend the concepts being told and how to look at the point of views.




From: Tony Arenas <tonyarenas@rocketmail.com>
To: blaircarroll.millikanreads@blogger.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:21:43 PM
Subject: Ms. Huff Blog Assignment

this is my blog project for ms. huff's class


No comments: