Monday, September 14, 2009

The Graveyard Book

Cidnee
September 14, 2009

The book I read was The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I chose to read this book because the school library recommended it. I decided to read it because I heard it was an amazing book. Later, I heard that he was the author of Coraline (one of my favorite
books) and I was sure I was going to read it. Soon after, I simply went to my local book store and purchased it.

The book is about a boy who wandered into a graveyard when he was just an infant, the night his parents where killed, by a mysterious
man named Jack. The "residents" of the graveyard (the ghosts) decided to raise him as their own. The ghosts named him Nobody Owens. As
he gets older he meets many creatures, ghouls, and ghost at the graveyard. His teacher is Miss Lupescu a werewolf and one of his friends
Liza Hempstock is the ghost of a witch. Nobody has only been taught what the ghosts know such as the ability to fade, haunt, and dream walk. As
he gets older he must face the dangers of both the living and the dead.

"There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife. The knife had a handle of polished black bone and a blade finer and sharper than any razor...
if it sliced you, you might not even know that you had been cut - not immediately.The knife had done almost everything it was brought to the house
to do and both the blade and the handle were wet... " I think this quote has a huge significance because they don't exactly say that Nobody's parent
died but it lets you know they were killed.

I rated this book using 1-4 tombstones. I used tombstones because of the books name. The amount of headstones I used shows how much I liked it,
the more the better. I gave the book 4 out of 4 tombstones because I thought the book was absolutely amazing.
I recommend that children of any age read this book. If you love adventure and fantasy books, if you love books that involve
ghost and ghouls, and if you love surprises, you must read this book!!!

No comments: