Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Freedom Writers Diary

Jake
Per 4 Mrs. Huff
September 15, 2009


The book I choose to write about is the book called "The Freedom
Writers Diary". I choose this book because its one of my favorite
stories. The book is about a lot of different teenagers life's in High
School and what they go through and all their journal entries put
together. Its 150 teenagers and their teacher name Erin Gruwell.

The characters in this story are Erin Gruwell's student in her room at
the high school she works at. There are 150 different journal entries
from all different student or Erin's. Some of the problems with these
kids is that it is a very bad learning environment. In the story it
said 27 percent of the kids will graduate and about 5 percent of that
will go to collage of a really big school. Also there is a lot of
violence and gang and territory wars. Also its very racial how some
people will act so you can only hang out with your own race.

"I feel as though chaos is stalking me, sliding its slimy tentacles
into every crevice of my life." Anonymous Freedom Writer, Chapter 6,
Page 188. This quote was chosen by me because I think it has a lot to
do with this story because some of these kids go through so much. If
they can quit drugs or they are in a gang and just in it for protection
because their school is so dangerous. And so kids are=2
0very unlucky,
like not having loving parents and maybe have even ran away.

I choose to pick 5 pens as my rating system for this book. These 5 pens
are same thing as 5 stars but the pens are related because it shows you
can express all your problems by writing on paper. You have all the
freedom you want when you write. To me that's why they call it the
Freedom Writers. It brings pressure off you if you want to say
something just write it out.

One reason I recommend you read this book is if you like hearing other
people's experiences with life and hear great inspiring stories, READ
IT. It inspires you in many ways and is dramatic also makes you want to
read it. It also sometime surprises you and some of the stories are so
intense it makes you sad. But the ending is great and makes you happy.

No comments: