Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Anansi boys by Tristan Sanchez

I did my blog on the book, Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman. I chose this book because I had just finished his previous novel, Neverwhere, a book that my uncle Arnold had given me. This book was a good book as his other ones because he changes the appropriateness of the literature. This book might be better for young adults because some of the books are for kids and others for more mature people. I found this book at the library, but I was hesitant to get it because I thought it would be bad comedy.

This book is about a young man around his mid-20's and who is engaged to a lovely, young woman named Rosie. Charlie, the young man, was raised by a father who had always played tricks on poor Fat Charlie, the name that stuck when his dad named him that. One time in fifth grade, the dad said that there was a presidents' day so Fat Charlie went as Taft. When he decided to invite his father to his wedding, he found out that his father died at a bar, singing on the stage. Soon after the funeral, Charlie met his brother named Spider, who had later only, causes him pain and steals his girl. He then finds out that his father was Anansi, the spider god, and Spider got all of the powers.

"In those days when animals were people as well as animals that Anansi the spider tricked them all, especially Tiger, because he wanted all the stories to himself." I believe that this quote was a strong one because it shows why everyone dislikes Anansi and expresses how things used to be back then with the gods. This book is also important to the storyline because it shows how the dad pretty much screwed the kids. This quote all by itself backs up all of the gods' reasons to dislike him. I also believe that this quote is a big part of the story and of the boys' adventures.

If I were to rate this book on a scale to five, I would personally and wholeheartedly give it a strong four-and-a-half. If the scale was to be made in categories for: adventure (4.5), comedy (4), and storyline (very strong five). I think that this was one of my favorite books, period. It had lived up to my expectations and actually passed them.

I recommend this book for people who enjoy books that like books with comedy, suspense, and action. This book cleanly gets all of these points. People who enjoy authors that hook you onto their novels should also pick this book up. But, this book has some cursing and parts that adults may not be okay with. Other than that, I think more people should read his books since he also make children's books.

No comments: