Thursday, November 20, 2008

Snakehead- Jarrett Davis

Davis, Jarrett

English, Period 6

November 20, 2008

Snakehead Review

I read Snakehead by Anthony Horowitz. I chose to read this book because my 6the grade teacher Mrs. Axelson turned me on to this series. I saw many of my friends reading this book and I knew I needed to read it. I loved the previous books so I begged my parents to get it for my and they finally did. This was a great book that filled me with enjoyment for 388 pages.

This book had a great storyline that was filled with descriptive settings and perfect characters. The well written characters were the star Alex Rider, a teenage boy who works for MI6 after his family members died. Alex is very aware, methodical and wise beyond his years. Another character is Ash, Alex's godfather, a deceptive man who is very logical and experienced. These are the two main characters and there are many supporting characters from previous books and some from this book. Alex finds himself in Australia after his last mission. ASIS tries to make him do a mission for them after they scanned his file. Alex refuses but they tell him about Ash so he agrees. His mission involves him saving celebrities, Western Australia, and himself. This book keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole way through.

"He was the last person to see your parents alive." Anthony Horowitz Snakehead page 74. I believe this is an extremely important quote for a few reasons. This quote lures Alex into doing this deathly mission. This quote also leads into a mystery that is uncovered in the end. When you read the book if you would've thought about this quote more the mystery wouldn't be mysterious.

I used snakes for my rating system because of the title of the book Snakehead. I used a 1-5 system, 1 being the worst 5 being the best. I feel this system works the best in being accurate and concise. I rated the book 4 because it was great but I always feel there is room for improvement. This book was amazing and you should definitely read it.

This was a great book that many could enjoy. I think you would want to read this book because it is fast-paced, entertaining, and a great mystery. I think this book is best suited for ages 9-15. If you don't enjoy bombs, guns, our military relations then this is not your book. Have a wonderful time reading this book.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jarrett, I was really inrigued by your brief yet descriptive summary and opinions. Even though I may not completely enjoy guns, bombs, and etc. I thought that was pretty interesting. Dangerous missions that you don't really elaborate on persuades me enough.
-Tali Moore

Ryan Cohen said...

Great review Jarrett I just saw the new James Bond movie and really wanted to read some spy books. I love Australia and anything to do with spies and Australia sounds good.