Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Voyages of Ulysses - Ulises Garcia


Garcia, Ulises
English, Period 6
November 20, 2008
Mrs. Huff
The Voyages of Ulysses - Ulises Garcia
For this book report, I chose the book called The Voyages of Ulysses by Clifton Fadiman. I chose this book because of the title it had. I looked and noticed that the title was some what related to mine, so I decided to read it. I also decided to scan some of the book and it seemed interesting how it had to do with the story of this legendary hero. Most of the time when I choose a book it's by either how cool the title is, or how interesting the back of the book is. I also like looking at the mystery suspense books.
The main characters was Ulysses. Ulysses was a Greek warrior who fought in the war Between The Greek and the Trojans. When Ulysses is finished with the war he decides to go back with his wife Penelope and his son Telemachus. On the voyage back to his home town Ithaca, Ulysses confronts many obstacles. He has to fight his way through raging waters, one eyed giants and more Ulysses traveled for long time one by one losing men until he was the last one. All was gone except for him and his boat. Then all of a sudden the great god of the sea destroyed his boat and Ulysses had to swim to the nearest island. Were he was cared for and granted a new boat. The brave soldier was of again on the voyage to see his family.
The quote that I chose from the book goes something like this. "Whichever man among you can string this great bow which belonged to my husband, and shoot an arrow through every one of the twelve axe handles, as my husband did, that man will I marry". This quote was important because at the end it is one of the things that helped Ulysses return to the throne he had lost. If Ulysses' wife had never brought that up Ulysses would of never been able to Prove he was really the great Ulysses. This quote also helped get rid of all the other tyrants that were finishing up all of Ulysses' food and wine.
I chose the long bow as my rating system. I decided this because that is what really helped Ulysses at the end of the story. One longbow means it was a waste of time, two longbows which means it was an ok book, and three means it was cool and worth you're time. I give this book a three. I give it a three thanks to the adventure it gave me.
I recommend this book to people that enjoy reading about mythical creatures and stuff like that. One reason I recommend this book is because it has a lot of adventure. Another reason I recommend this book is because it is very cool how Ulysses uses his knowledge to get out of tight situations. The last reason I recommend this book is for the way that they make Ulysses seem like some sort of ancient iron man.

1 comment:

Kian Maalizadeh said...

Cool review ulisies I think it's kinda ironic how you have the voyage of Ulysses when ur name is ulisies but i might pick this book up I am pretty intrested about history and how ulysses lost his throne