Thursday, November 20, 2008

House -- Jonathan Burman

Jonathan Burman
English Per 5
11/21/08

Book Review Blog

For this book report, i chose to read and write about House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. I decided to read this book because I read the back of it and it sounded like a good book. At first, it was a boring book. Then it started to get really good. I didn't want to stop reading it. One I started to read it, I knew it was a good book.

There are a couple of main characters in this story. One main character is Jack Singleton. He is driving with his wife Stephanie to marriage counseling. Another character is Stewart. He is married to Betty and they run the hotel. As they are driving, Jacks car runs over a spike trail in the middle of the road. They end up walking until they find a hotel down the street. The hotel owners are very odd. They seem to dislike visitors. All of a sudden the power goes out and someone drops a can into the fireplace. The can says the following: Welcome to my house. House rules- 1. God came into my house and I killed him. 2. I will kill anyone that comes into my house as I killed God. 3. Give me one dead body and I might let rule two slide. Game over at dawn. Stewart takes this very seriously. He locks them all in a meat locker and tells them to pick someone to die. All of them get out of the meat locker and run into the basement. Too bad the basement is shaped like a giant maze with no way out. Suddenly Jack is running through a maze to save his life.

"But thats impossible. He doesn't actually expect us to kill each other." I chose this quote because I think it gives a plot for the rest of the book. The same person who threw the can down wants them to kill someone. This quote al;so adds some suspense to the book because it makes the reader wonder if they are really going to kill someone. Stephanie said this after the killer threw the can into the fireplace. Everyone was passing the can around and reading it, and when it got to Stephanie she asked if he was serious. I think I would say the same thing that Stephanie said if I was ever in a situation like that. Another reason that I picked this quote is that I that any person who was faced in a situation like that would say the exact same thing.

My rating system is from one to five. One being the worst and five being the best. For the rating system, I decided to use tin cans. I decided to use tin cans because the whole story is based on what someone writes on a tin can. Someone writes "house rules" on a tin can and everyone gets scared. That being said, i would give this book 4 out of 5. I think that it a really good book, but it is not the best book I've read. In my opinion, the beginning could have been more exciting. But 4 out of 5 is still a good rating.


There are so many reasons why I enjoyed this book. One reason is that the book was very interesting and I couldn't stop reading it. The way the book is written, you really feel the emotions that the characters are experiencing. Its kind of like your in the book with all the characters. Another reason is because this is a mystery book, and I enjoy reading mystery books. I would recommend this book to anyone who is 12 or older. It can get a little confusing at times and you need to think about what is going on. I think that people should read this book because it is very exciting and keeps you on the edge of your seat. There is some violence, so if you get scared easily this is not the book for you. I hope you decide to read this book.

No comments: