Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Go Ask Alice-Jerri White

Jerri White
English Period 2
November 12, 2008
Go Ask Alice
In this Blog I'm going write about Go Ask Alice. The other of this book in anonymous but it's from a real girl's diary a while ago. This wasn't my first time reading it though, I read it in sixth grade, but I think it's a really interesting, deep book. I've already read about 7 books since this school year has started and I think that this has been the best hence me picking it. Out of all the books I have read this one teaches you lessons and shows that you can't escape your life with drugs, things will only backfire on you worse.
The main character is a high school girl who is moving to a new city for her dads work. She doesn't care that much because she didn't really have much friends at he r school in the first place. Once she moves to the new city she makes new friends and ends up doping drugs and selling them. Then she runs away to Frisco and makes a little boutique there with her friend then they finally come back home. Though she runs away a couple times after. She finally wants to get back on track but she afraid everyone is going to think she still sells and she wants to be good and have people think or her as a good girl and not a druggie. She ends up having to go to the hospital and rehab after having acid without even knowing. All she did was eat a peanut. She freaks out and all she can think about is worms eating her and the baby she was baby sitting. After getting out of rehab she tries to but everything in the past again but I guess it wasn't that easy… if you want to know the rest you're just going to have to read it.
"After you've had it, there isn't a life with out drugs" I bet you have seen this quote before. Im going to explain the significance of it though. Once you read the whole book and you go back to that quote it really makes you think. It can defiantly be true because you can tell as hard as she tried to quit she would get sucked back in to doing drugs. It really sad but this whole book is completely true. It s too bad to because she had to be afraid of the kids who used to be her druggie friends. She never knew if they would slip a drug into her lunch or her locker, even to one of her little siblings. It shows that you can't get into drugs and say "im only doing it this one time." I guess if you really do committee to your word, and stay committed but once you get started how do you stop?
These are needles. One of the objects she used when doing drugs. Does that seem horrible to inject a drug with such a scary looking object? To rate this book out of 6 needles I would use all six. I think it's such a great book and shows that drugs aren't all happy. In the real world out side of your high the people you love are growing upset and distant from you and you just love off drugs and forget the real world. Before you think of picking up that illegal drug, go and read this book.
I recommend this book to anyone started in 5th grade. It's grade to learn ahead of time about this things. This book really sucks you in and makes you want to just keep turning the page and see what will happen next and if she will end up okay. I also think it opens a new door to true life books that are reall y intense, this book was the book that made me start reading all the time. If you haven't read it check it out in our library right now!

9 comments:

oliver adams said...

this book sounds interesting

Ryan Sherman said...

Great Review Jerri! I've read the book once, but I think I may read it again now. My computer won't show the needles 'smash keyboard out of anger...' but they are a clever rating system for this book.

Anonymous said...

Can't see the needles, but thanks for saying what they are so I wasn't totally lost :)

This book sounds good. I think I might read it.

Anonymous said...

WOW! that book sounds really ... well ...heavy. the subject in and of its self is heavy. i haven't read it but I've heard of it. what you said about it not being possible to only do drugs once is true. its true with a lot of things in life.

Alex Weitzman said...

Jerri your review is great! I really want to read this book.A lot of teenagers probally could relate to this. I am rea11y interested I might have to go buy it. The needles was a good choice to rate your books with. They connect with the story very well.

Jalen B.D. said...

Great job Jerri! I've read this book personally multiple times (I can never get enough of it) but it's great to see someone else's take on it!

Madi Grayson said...

I've heard about this book from soo many people, i mean, there are at least six posters of it in the library. But, no one has ever reviewed it for me, and now it actually seems like i would like to read it. Even though, it does sound heavy, but it seems really interesting.Good job!

Unknown said...

your review is really good! i liked your idea for the rating system! the book sounds really intense!

Avital Avraham said...

Sounds like a good book!
I'll be sure to read it next time.