Friday, November 21, 2008

Stormbreaker - Dante Brljevic

Brljevic, Dante

Period 6 English

Nov 20, 2008

I read the book Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz. I think they also made a movie about it.
I chose this book because it was recommended to me by a friend , and he let me borrow it to read it. It was
a good book, and I finished it fairly fast since I went to Palm Springs and all I had to do was read the book. I was actually already done with the book when I found out about this assignment, so it was obvious to me that I would pick this book.

Basically, Alex Rider, a 14 year old boy who lives in England, was living with his uncle all his life when suddenly his uncle was in a car accident and died. Alex, being the adventurous boy he was, went and found his uncle's car at the junkyard and, as he thought, his uncle wasn't in a simple car crash. Soon after he finds out that his uncle was a spy, and that he was shot on his way back from his last mission.
The spy company, M16, even wanted Alex to go undercover and finish the mission for his uncle. The problem was with a rich man named Herod Sayle who was going to give a special type of advanced computer to every school in England. M16 thought this was somewhat "fishy", so they sent Alex's uncle to investigate.
Now, it was up to Alex to finish his uncle's last mission.

One amazing quote from Stormbreaker is:

"From the moment I arrived at the school, I was mocked and bullied. Because of my size. Because of my dark skin. Because I couldn't speak English well. Because I wasn't one of them. They made names for me. Herod Smell. Goat Boy. The dwarf. They played tricks on me. Pins on
the chair. Books stolen and defaced. My trouser ripped off me and hung on the flagpole underneath the Union Jack...."
"I loved that flag when I first came here," he said. "But in only weeks I came to hate it."

-Herod Sayle-

I think the quote shows much about Herod Sayle. He was obviously bullied. He was bullied so much that he came to hate the country that saved is life. It was this hateful thought in Herod's mind that caused all the chaos in the book. If it weren't for this evil memory of Herod Sayle, the book would have a completely different storyline.

I give the book four computers out of five. It was a good book, but not really the best I've every seen. Still it is definitely worth reading, as it brings lots of new thoughts and concepts into reading, and combines action and mystery.





I need to make sure you know that there is some mild violence in the book. Well, actually it is pretty violent, but it is mostly descriptive action. Not to much blood or anything like that. I recommend this book to anyone who likes Action or Mystery. It's easy to find , and was a great book, the kind where you can't always control when you stop reading.

No comments: