Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Vincent Bartle | Great Expectations

Vincent C. Bartle

Period 3

11/14/08

This book report is for Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.I selected this book because it was recomended by my father, and because I thought it was interesting. At first the book looked intimidating because of the size, but I worked my self into getting into it. My dad gave me a quick summery about it and that also helped my decision.

This book's main character is Pip a youn g orphan. He lives with his older sister and strong husband Joe Gargery. The story begins with Pip meeting a convict, Magwitch, whom he helps survive, by giving him supplies. He lives a normal life until it takes a drastic change when he is visited by London attorney, Mr. Jaggers, who tells him that he is to be trained to be a gentleman . Pip then moves out to London to carry out his orders to become a gentleman. Pip recieves education, clothing, food, and is tought to be a gentleman.

Being the best quote out of this book I would have to say that: "The first and the main to be done," said Herbert, " is to get him out of England. You will have to go with him, and then he may be induced to go." is the best quote throught out this book, without revealing the ending. I think this quote is best because it gives a good insight to what the book is about, and is a great example of Charles Dickens ability to verbally detail.

I rate this book an overall 10. I rate it a 10 because it is very abstract and i like the theme. Charles Dickens wrote is spectacularly which is what I like the most, it gives an insight to what is actually happening, and gives a great image to be though of when reading through it. I like the theme becaue it is very unique and how Pip plays through it I think is portrayed perfectly.

I think someone would want to read this because it is written greatly. Charles Dickens has a great sense of giving a visual and writing it to the best of detail. The theme is something interesting to get into about, which is another reason to get into this book, and why I suggest this to others. There are no warnings to be given about this book, only that if you have a short attention span, it's not such a great choice for a book.


No comments: