Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Joseph Victorian, DragonRider

The Introduction:
The title of the book I read for this Book Review is called Dragon Rider, by Cornelia Funke. The book was first published in Germany (as all of Cornelia Funke's books in 1997 and not published in the English translation until 2004. I actually read this book almost three years ago in 205, the first book I had ever read by the author. Since then I have read four of her other books and is currently my favorite author; I chose the book for this reason.

A Brief Summary:
This book is a fiction/adventure story about a dragon's adventure to find a new home away from the valley where he and his fellow dragons had been living for so long; along with a brownie named Sorrel. The dragon, Firedrake, is warned by his rat friend Rosa that humans were planning to flood the valley, and they would need to find a new home soon. Slatebeard (an elderly dragon) tells the others that he knows of a mystical refuge known as the Rim of Heaven, but Firedrake and Sorrel are the only one swilling to go on the journey to the place that may only exist in an elder's dreams...

Along the way, Sorrel and Firedrake meet a human named Ben who joins them along in their search, while they make enemies at the same time. They meet a dragon/dragonhunter whose sole purpose is to eradicate every other dragon in the world. Little do the trio of Sorrel, Firedrake, and Ben know that their arrival at the Rim of Heaven has been a long-awaited and prophetical event...

Rating System:
For my rating system I chose a dragon with a boy on its back. This represents the title, as well as what goes on throughout most of the book; a young dragon with a little boy tagging along for the ride on the dragon's back. I also chose a picture of a brownie because Sorrel, the brownie, is a very helpful animal to the dragons and is just as important. I rated the book on a scale of 1 to 10, and I gave it a 9.5 because it was an overall great book; the only downfall about reading this book is that it was somewhat slow at times. Other than that I believe this story is virtually flawless.

Conclusion:
I recommend this book to anyone who has time to take out of their day and read an overall great book. Several times I had planned to read a few pages, and ended up reading several chapters of the book. Anyone can enjoy this book; there is mild language, but many big words. Cornelia Funke really helped me visualize what was going on in the story, better than many other authors I've read. I like to call it somewhat of a "fairy tale", in that it allowed me to just "get away" from whatever I was doing, or whatever was going wrong in my life...once you pick up this book you won't want to put it down.

2 comments:

Aida Rodriguez said...

Wow, Joe, you are such a good writer. I tried to read this book once before but it was my type of novel. I think i might try to pick it up and read it one more time. You really got me excited about this book now.
thank you for your time.

Kian Maalizadeh said...

Nice review Joseph I was always holding off on reading this book but now I want to read it. I need to know who the fat rat friend is