Thursday, November 20, 2008

The House of the Scorpion- Daniel Seflinger

For my book report I read a book called The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. I selected the book because I had no book to read. Someone let me borrow this book and told me it is a very interesting book. I had never heard of this book, however after reading it one day I found it a very great book. While I was reading during homeroom many people told me they've read it and enojoyed it very much.

This book is about a clone named Matteo Alacran, but he's just called Matt. He is a clone of El Patron who is the richest man of all of Mexico and the United States. El Patron got very rich by growing Opium and making the drug. In the begginning Matt lives with someone named Celia, but later lives with the Alacrans. El Patron is very evil, although he treats Matt very nicely and gave him a bodygaurd named Tam Lin who is Scottish.

"No one can tell the difference between a clone and a human. That's because there isn't any difference. The idea of clones being inferior is a filthy lie."(Tam Lin) This was a very important quote because nobody liked clones. Matt was always afraid to be in public because they knew he was a clone. However, he didn't know they knew by looking at him. They knew because they live in the same city and everyone has heard about him. Matt was about to venture to a new city to escape from his old one and was very surprised about what Tam Lin had just explained to him.




I gave this book five Opium Poppies out of five. To be honest, this was the best book I have read in my entire life. The Opium plants are a main part of the story because that is how El Patron got very rich. He planted Opium plants all along the border of Mexico. Later in the book Matt finds out about someone named Esperanza who thinks that El Patron is pure evil and wants to destroy all of the Poppy fields.

I recomend this book to anyone who loves suspense, unpredictable stories, and basically a very great book. I would suggest that people from ages 10 to age 15 would really love this book. There is no bad language or any other inappropriate things in this book. It requires at least a basic understanding of what a clone is. If you want to have a fun time reading and not feel like reading is homework or a punishment than you should read this book.

No comments: