Sunday, November 16, 2008

Rumble Fish-Wenk, Thomas

Wenk, Thomas
Period 4 English
November 16, 2008

Rumble Fish

The title of the book I read is called Rumble Fish. It was written by S. E. Hilton. I chose this book because I read it in 6th grade and remembered how much I liked it so I went out and bought it. When I bought this book, I didn't know that I was going to use it as my book report book. When Mrs. Huff announced that we had a book report, I just decided to use the book I was already reading.

Rusty-James is a greaser who gets in a lot of fights in and out of school. When Rusty-James gets in a big situation or fight his brother, the Motorcycle Boy, helps him out. Rusty-James is a bad kid. He has a police record and has been suspended for possession of a knife at school. There are two conflicts in this story, man vs. man and man vs. society.

"If you want to go somewhere in life you just have to work till you make it.." I chose this quote because it's one of the themes of the story and it matters in life. This applies to life in the sense that you have to work to get what you want. This quote is important in the story because Rusty-James lives in a bad, poor, crummy neighborhood and he was to work to get everything.

For my rating system I am using cigarettes because Rusty James is addicted. Every time Rusty-James would ponder, he would smoke. His friend, Steve, would urge him to quit or at least not smoke n front of him. I give this book 5 out of 5 cigarettes for being really addictive and very mysterious.






This is a great book, I strongly advise you to read it. This book shows what it's like to grow up in a bad neighborhood and live for violence. This book is meant for young adults but anyone can read it. If you like sitting on the edge of your chair, this is the book for you. (Warning, this book contains strong language, profanity, strong drug use and some alcohol use)

7 comments:

internationallyexquisite said...

This sounds like a very interesting book. How does the title "Rumble Fish" relate to the story, though, if it is about a greaser. I like how you used cigarettes for the rating system and explained how he is so addicted, and then you said that the book was very addictive. I might read this book soon. Great job.

JD Huff said...

Thomas,
This does sound like a good book, but I wish you had gone into more detail about the conflicts. Also, what were some more reasons to recommend it?

Brittany Mata said...

Good Job Thomas. This book sounds very interesting. I like to read books that have a mystery to them. I would have to give this book a 4 out of 5. I probably will read this book.

David Chulpaeff said...

that looks like an intresting book thomas. the fact that you used the ciggarettes as the rate system was really creative. I have to agree with erin about the book title. It doesnt seem like it relates to the book.

David Gasparian said...

Great job Thomas. This book sounds like a good book to read but how does the title relate to the story? I might give a shot at reading this book.

Edden Brown said...

Thomas, great review!! After reading your part of the book review i thought of actually getting the book myself and starting to read it.

Nicole Lee said...

A story centered on the life of a low-life, hooligan greaser, no? I have to admit - I'm intrigued. Greasers have always fascinated me. I'm interested in reading this book. Which means that you have fulfilled your job.