Sunday, November 16, 2008

Speak-Iriana, Broneil

Broneil Iriana

Period 2 English

November 15, 2008

I recently read this awesome book called Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.

I didn't read this by my own choice.I read it in my English class last year and I'm glad I did. I chose to right about this particular book because it has some themes that everyone would face in high school. It's useful for me because I'm going to high school next year.

The book is about Melinda Sordino, a freshman who just arrived at Merryweather High. Something happened to her in the previous summer that caused all her friends to hate her. This senior, Andy Evans,is what you would expect from a typical prettyboy. Blonde hair, blue eyes and all the girls are after him. Well, he has a connection to Melinda. That's all I'm gonna say.

" I have entered high school with the wrong hair, the wrong clothes, and the wrong attitude. And I don't have anyone to sit with." This quote had a lot of significance for me. Melinda has lost all her friends, she wants to make new ones but people she doesn't know hate her. She doesn't even need real friends. Just someone she can sit with. I had troubles late last year that concluded with me losing my best friend since the first grade. Needless to say, I was depressed for a bout two, maybe three weeks after that.

The rating system I have for this book is trees. See, in art class. Melinda has to draw trees, paint, sketch, make a model of, whatever. So it has a significant meanig throughout the school year. As for me, I give this book a ten out of five. It totally blew me away.

I reccomend this book to whoever is going to high school soon. This book is for, in my opinion, all teens but is leaning towards girls from the ages of twelve to fifteen. If you've had trouble with friends, read and see how Melinda dealt with it. However,this book is not kids who are in kindergarten, obviously. It has some mature themes inappropriate for kids under the age of twelve. Well, with that said, Speak is a great book that you do not want to miss out on. Happy Reading!! =D

No comments: