Monday, November 17, 2008

Maniac Magee -David Chulpaeff

Chulpaeff, David
Period 4
November 17, 2008
Maniac Magee
The book I read was Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. The reason I chose this book was because I heard it was a great book. Everyone said it would be great to read for me. I easily decided to read this book as my choice.
The book is about a boy named Jeffrey Lionel Magee. He was orphaned at age 3 when his parents died in an accident. He was forced to live with his aunt and uncle. They lived together but had different rooms and don't speak to each other. They use Jeffrey as there go between. Then Jeffrey decides to run away. After a year of running he arrives in Two Mills, a town racially segregated by Hector Street. He becomes familiar with both sides. He becomes friends with resident Amanda Beale. He also became neighborhood legend. He beat mars bars in a foot race. Jeffrey then decides to go away from the town. He meets Grayson, a former minor league pitcher. He began to live with him. Jeffrey then later returned and accepted an offer to live with Amanda and her family.
My favorite quote from the book was "He wasn't born with the name Maniac Magee. He came into this world named Jeffrey Lionel Magee, but when his parents died and his life changed, so did his name. Maniac Magee took to the streets." That quote means a lot. It says that as peoples lives change so do the people.
My rating for the book is 5/5. It is a great book. I am going to use stars as my system. I defiantly give it 5 stars.
Maniac Magee was defiantly an amazing book. I would recommend it to anyone. It's an interesting book and very addicting to read. The great detail of the story was great to. This book is a must read.


2 comments:

David Gasparian said...

David this book sounds interesting and filled with drama and i heard that Jerry Spinelli is a great author. Great book review!

Kian Maalizadeh said...

That's sad his parents died but it's really cool he won a foot race