Friday, November 21, 2008

Beloved-Kirston Gordon

Kirston Gordon
Period 2
Mrs.Huff
November 19, 2008





Beloved


I have just finished reading an exciting and utterly scary book named Beloved. The author of this book is Toni Morrison. I never read a book like this and I never thought that I would be this intrigued by a book. I found out about this book from a friend that seen the movie. I didn’t want her to tell me about the movie until I read the book so I guess that is what made me approach it. Just by reading the first paragraph of this book makes you want to read more and more.

This book is about a ghost spirit that has possessed a slave house in the 1860’s. This book is gory and mysterious and it keeps you on your heels each time you pick it up. The main character went through lots of pain in her life as a now free slave and after killing her two year old daughter sixteen years ago, her past came to haunt her. Her youngest daughter who survived now has to live with the ghost of her big sister and it somewhat turns her insane.

“No ghost is gonna keep me out of my house, no way, no how!” is one of my favorite quotes out of the book because in the moment of the book she said it with so much power and emotion. You never think that someone would stay in a haunted house but this character just wouldn’t budge when someone tried to get in between her and her home.

I believe this book is worth 10 out of 10 stars because I think the author just really used a wise mind and great imagination to write this book. It pulls you in and keeps you guessing. I think many people, especially of the African-American culture, will enjoy this book.

I recommend this book to people ages 13 - adult because it contains very adult content of sex, language and scenes. You have to be a pretty wise fellow to read this book and understand a lot of the hidden messages in this story. It even took my dad awhile to understand what it meant at times. Beloved is a book I would not recommend to any who doesn’t regularly read graphic books such as this one. This is an amazing book and I hope you get to read it some time.

No comments: