Tuesday, November 18, 2008

POISON (by Sosi)

POISON


Sosi Dzhugarian


English, Period 2


November 18, 2008



POISON


I just finished reading an interesting book called Poison, which was written by Chris Wooding. I didn't know anything about it, or even that it existed, until lately one day I was walking down the isles in the library when I saw the word "POISON" on the spine of a book and two creepy eyes staring straight at me. I couldn't resist picking it up and reading it. I was expecting it to be about someone trying to poison someone else, but after I started reading it, it was obvious that I had made a mistake by judging the book by its cover. It only took a few seconds for me to get hooked to the strange book.


This "phaerie tale" is about a young girl who has set out on a journey to find and bring back her little sister. She heads out on her own without notifying her parents and ends up in an entirely different world with evil creatures that are busy planning sneaky schemes to overthrow one other. Not only that, but they also want to do away with humans altogether! She finds herself in great danger having to complete difficult obstacles and barely escaping from the murderous hands of the keen creatures, all for the return of her sister. As the reader gets to the end, they must think carefully about the situations, because when they do, they'll reveal a hidden message.


"Real life is a story too, only much more complicated." This is one of the best quotes from the book. It means so much to me. We never think of our lives as stories, but that's what we are. Each one of us is like a chapter to a book, a scene from a movie. Books are written to be read and we are born to live, but don't forget that books also end whether it's "…happily ever after" or "…was never to be seen again" and so our lives' chapters have an end as well.


This book is worthy of a high rating. Out of five (one being the lowest possible rating and five being the highest), I give it an outstanding five. It is enjoyable and exciting. It changes the way the reader thinks about life, too. I chose to represent my rating system with the face on the book because it was one of the reasons why the book caught my attention in the first place.



I recommend this book to young adults from ages 12 to 18. I don't think kids who are younger will understand the hidden meaning of the story which is why I don't recommend it to those who aren't ready for such reading material. Poison is for people who are ready to go on an adventure. There is a point to the book that will make you think of life differently and will allow you to control your life the way you want to. Basically, if you want to experience a suspenseful, tense, but yet fun time, then read Poison and you'll feel the same thrill that I felt.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

From:Miguel Z.
Wow this really sounds like a really good book especially with all of those monsters. It sounds like a really good book filled with excitment and suprises. I will defenitely read this book.

Madi Grayson said...

Good review, i had a book club in the second grade and we read that series, i havent been reminded of it on so long, but reading your review reminded me why i liked it so much =)

Avital Avraham said...

Sounds spooky!
I'd love to read that book later on.