Thursday, November 13, 2008

Geek High-Simona Stark

Stark, Simona

Period 4

11-11-08

I read a book called Geek High by "Piper Banks". I selected this book because I was at Barnes & Noble to get a book for an English project. I picked this book because the cover was my favorite color. I had to pick a nonfiction book but I didn't. Unfortunately my teacher told me that it was not a nonfiction book. I decided to read the book anyway for fun, because the back of the book summary told me that this book was about high school.

Geek High is about a girl named Miranda Bloom who attends a school for geniuses. She has a hard time living because she has an evil stepmom and stepsisters. Miranda is a good student unlike her stepsisters who like to do fun things. The theme of this book is that when you learn instead of doing what you like to do, later in life you will get to do what you like to do. This book teaches you a lot of things in an interesting way. The book teaches you about school drama, and how to deal with it. The book does this by making the readers laugh.

The quote I chose to represent this book is by a game show host who says, "Mir-an –da Blooooom, the Human Cal-cu-la-tor'' in an annoying game-show –host voice. The reason why I chose this quote is that just because someone is good at something does not mean you should call them names. Later in life they might be in a better place than you. People should never make fun of other people. I hope this quote teaches some people not to laugh at others.

I decided to use a rating scale from A-F. The reason is that it is thematically related to the book's school based subject. A means the book is 100% outstanding, B means it is 80% satisfying, C means the book passes the standards, D means the book is barely adequate and F means it fails to entertain. I give it a B, because I think it is a good book for teenagers to read, but not the best.

This book is good for people who like math, science and have family issues. The book would help you deal with your family problems. This book will also teach you how to reach your goals. There is no parental warning on this book except if you don't want your child to do math.

5 comments:

JD Huff said...

Simona,
You have a very interesting way of selecting a book! I have never thought of choosing a book based on the color of the cover!! I was a bit confused by your recommendation at the end. Could you explain the math thing?
Keep reading!
Mrs.Huff

Anonymous said...

LOL about the math. my parents are calling me a math genius since i got a 100% on a math test. it sounds really cool and my type of book. a book about a genius in high school is right up my alley.

David Chulpaeff said...

as Mrs. huff said that is a very intresting way of picking a book. the book sounds intresting. i might just read it. Ohh and what color was the book?

David Gasparian said...

Simona, this sunds like a GREAT book to read. You chose a rare rating system but i like it. Just like ms.huff you chose a weird way to chose a book by its color???

avetisyan ane said...

lol girly i read a book called i'd tell you i love but then i'd have to kill you and it was about geniuses too i also agree with everyone else wierd way of choosing a book