Thursday, November 20, 2008

Eldest - Dustin Lee

Lee, Dustin
English Period 6
11/19/08
Eldest


I read an awesome book called Eldest by Christopher Paolini. This book is the sequel of the first book called Eragon. I liked this book since I like reading about fantasy stories. Also I like it since it has magic and swordfights. Huge battles, dragons, and mythical creatures are also not uncommon in the pages. This book is a great one.
This main character in this story is Eragon and his dragon companion, Saphira. Both of them are currently in the Beor Mountains at Tronjheim, the Dwarven capital. A new Varden leader must be chosen since Ajihad was killed in battle and Eragon and Saphira must continue their training in Ellesmera. He travels with Saphira, Arya, and four Dwarven guards. They arrive at the city a number of days later and rest at the city for the training will begin the next day. Eragon quickly learns spells and fighting techniques while Saphira learns about wind currents and how to avoid being hit by projectiles. Both of them soon become stronger and their bond together grow. Eragon soon receives a message from the Varden, a plea for help. The Empire is soon to attack the Varden and Eragon and Saphira's powers are needed on the battlefield. This fight will be epic!
I think that an important quote in this book is said by Oromis," You are as good a swordsman as ever have I met." This is quite important to the story for Eragon would have been killed during the countless sword fights in the past months. From fighting Urgals to Ra'zac he has proved himself on the battlefield. His skill with a sword is very impressive.
I would rate this series of books and in particular Eldest, a 50 out of 50 circles! I would rate this book a 50 since I enjoyed everything in the book. The huge fights, climactic endings, fearsome monsters. This book has quenched my thirst of literature for some time now ever since it came out. This is my #1 series of books at the moment.

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

I would suggest this book to kids from age 10 and up. There is a lot of violence and gore. From huge battles and decapitations, this is not a young child's book. There is also some romance in this novel and cursing. Last of all, there is also mischievous schemes that young children can copy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Dustin, I have heard many great comments from some of my friends about Eragon and its great that you enjoyed the sequel. Your descriptive language was persuading. Dragons, fights, swords! Wow, thats a mouthful...good job!