Monday, November 17, 2008

When It Happens--Suzie Sogoyan

I chose this book to write a review about because when I was done reading the book, it was all I could think about. I personally think that the author did a great job writing this book. See, each chapter switches off the characters. There are two characters, one girl and one boy. So, you get to see how they feel about what's going on at the time. You get both point of views and its interesting to see how they both react to the situations. I haven't read any other book like this so I thought it would be a good idea to write my review on it. Its really one-of-a-kind.
This book had two main characters, Toby and Sarah. Sarah is a straight A student and is focused on her education. Toby on the other hand, is a musician who doesn't really care about his grades and future. Sarah had a crush on the most popular guy in school, Dave, since the 11th grade and he didn't even call her over the summer. But, then all of a sudden he starts talking to her when they get back to school. While she is wasting her time on Dave, Toby is crushing on her really hard. He may not be great in school, but he is a really sweet guy and he really likes Sarah.
This book hardly had any quotes, but there was one that I liked. "It's funny how what you're looking for is right in front of and you can't even see it". She was referring to Toby after she realized that she liked him. I love it because it's saying how sometimes you can't see the obvious. It was her realizing the best thing was right in front of her and she was too blinded by the fake thing to see the real thing. It really refers to many teen girls; they often go through the same things. I myself can use this quote once in a while.
I've created a rating system for this book. I thought of the book and I didn't really know what to use, so i just used the basic stars. Its sim ply actually, its your basic rating system: one means not so good, two means okay but not really, three means it was worth reading but not the best book, four means it was good and it was worth reading, and five means that you would read it again because it was just so great. I chose five because I would read it again; it was just a really great book for me. I loved the setting and the fact that it was snowing, I enjoyed how the whole senior year went by when I was done with the book.




This book was just awesome! First of all there aren't many books like this because this actually shows what both characters are thinking. Second of all I guarantee that this book is worth spending time on, its 310 pages, but you don't really notice. Third of all it would be nice to read a love story about two different teenagers; I know it'll probably be different than the r est of the books on your bookshelf. I recommend this book to 13-18 year olds, but then again I'm sure that and adult would be in a good mood after reading at least a couple of chapters of it. The book does carry some intimate scenes, but not too over-the-top. Just some typical kisses here and there. Nothing more. I hope you look into this book. You can find it at your nearest Borders or Barnes & Nobles.

4 comments:

Jalen B.D. said...

Great review! I get what you mean about thinking about this book once you finish it, I don't know how many times I've read it. Love your quote by the way!

avetisyan ane said...

hmmm sounds like your classic teenage romance book and it is totally my type of book i will definantly check it out

sosi dzhugarian said...

Hey Suzie,
I've never read a book like that before and it's the next on my list now. Until today, a book with two different point of views was only another one of my friend's interesting ideas, literally, but I guess she wasn't the first one to think of it.
I hope I'll get it soon.I'm going to recommend it to my friend, too.

Unknown said...

that sounds like a good and book! and it sounds interesting how it switches characters telling thestory and that they're exact opposites. i liked your quote a lot too.